Thursday, December 23, 2010

#reverb10: new name

(what day 22 (travel) was all about)

day 23 prompt ... Let's meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?
(Author: Becca Wilcott)

(my commitment to myself for stream-of-conscious writing ... excited to see what pops up as i type!)

sylvia ramirez ... glad to meet you, becca. this is a name i have been called (in full, even) twice in my life - on two very separate and unrelated occasions. my first name is shirley (2 syllables) and my last name also has 3 syllables.

back story ... in the late 80s, after i stood in front of a conference registration booth stating my name, that person actually started to print my name tag with the not-my-name name as sylvia ramirez. no one on the conference attendance list with that name. not my name. not what i said. not what registration gal checked off the list just seconds after i registered. she had no idea why she started to do write my not-my-name name tag. no big deal.

in the late 90s, i was at a social mixer (at a conference, actually). someone i had just met introduced me to his colleagues - even with my real-name name tag on, he introduced me as sylvia ramirez. whadahell?!

- let's meet ... introduce yourself ... by another name and why? ... i would introduce myself as sylvia ramirez because maybe you can tell me that you think you know me, that my name sounds familiar, or that you also know someone named sylvia ramirez, but she spells her name with an "i" - as in silvia ramirez.

will the real sylvia (or silvia) ramirez please stand up? ... get this - i met a REAL silvia ramirez - spelled with an "i" instead of a "y" in 2007. short story version - she was my randomly-selected-by-the-instructors roommate (among ~20 other roomie options) for a weekend retreat about reiki.

silvia - my soul sister for the weekend ... we were introduced only by first names. and then while we were unpacking and getting situated, we exchanged mini-snippets about our lives including our full names - and that is when i told her that i have been called sylvia ramirez - but with a "y" (recall the 80s conference name tag). one thing VERY interesting is that she was an entrepreneur - a highly regarded woman business owner (nationally recognized in 1999). and at the time of that retreat, i had just stepped out of business ownership (to opt for cubeopolis), so we had quite a bit to talk about that weekend.

go figure.
what were the chances?
sylvia, it is!

(thanks for letting me share.)

3 comments:

  1. Would you believe people sometimes here "Julie" as "Shirley"? Seriously, back in the 80's more than once I was called "Shirley"....

    Tee hee hee hee... enjoyed hearing your story today... and everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. this is a bit too odd. And to be called sylvia YET AGAIN! well.

    And what do you make of it? Does it mean anything to you? Or it's just a tee hee hee, no biggie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. rebecca ... don't know what to make of it. i enjoy the pleasant surprise, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...