Thursday, December 2, 2010

#reverb10: writing

(what day 1 (one word) was all about)
day 2 prompt ... What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(- Author: Leo Babauta)

shiny penny ... shiny penny is my term of endearment for random (and not so random), very short-term, external (versus my internal process) distractions and moments throughout a day - some sort of external stimuli where i get off-track (physically writing, thinking/idea generating) for whatever reason.

i love monikers! i have been and am definitely aware of shiny penny - for better or for worse. i gave these "moments" a moniker, so i could have a little fun calling them out and being more aware of these moments. i have found that shiny penny can lead to a spiraling and leap-frogging effect of procrastinating, which i recognize as little choices (or excuses, even) to put my writing to the side for a bit.



- can i eliminate shiny penny?
yes - but no ... and that is great for me. here is why ...

shiny penny
fairy godmother ... i have come to realize that shiny penny can be and are opportunities for writing inspiration and for a bit of down-time to recharge. as soon as i have called out a shiny penny moment, it has been fun to see what results from shiny penny that i can attribute and contribute to my writing.

i get it! was this a fun, trick question?! ...
hmmm, in this short time of writing my stream-of-consciousness response to this question, i have realized that what i have thought of as shiny penny getting in the way of my writing is evolving and becoming a source for my writing!

shiny penny (equals) writing
(equals) life ... in just this little response, i have recast shiny penny to the next level and amped it up - "these go to eleven." i can celebrate shiny penny by physically jotting down a little note about shiny penny, recognizing a life moment as a little writing gift, recording a quick voice note, and/or capturing that moment in my writing process and writing as inspiration, content, or motivation.

confession ... i wrote this response on dec 3 at ~6:00 AM
because of late, last night's (dec 2) shiny penny.
(thank you for accepting my re-dating of this post.)

2 comments:

  1. oh, how lovely, how human, how playful.

    I love this.

    I think I'm going to steal it. :)

    Oooh, look! Shiny penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is adorable, and I am definitely stealing the term "shiny penny" immediately.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...