Monday, February 20, 2012

tiny habits: revisting

from behaviormodel.org
over-share ... i have shared quite a bit about bj fogg's 3 tiny habits experience. so just to pull it all together through today .. 
my water glass near my phone
and my tiny habits ... from bj fogg's tiny habits program, i have started 7 tiny habits - health and organization.
  1. after i sit down in my office chair, i will place my water glass next to my phone.
  2. after i park my car at home, i will clean out one thing from my car. 
  3. after i come home after working, i will place my work bag near my stool.
  4. after i get out of bed in the morning, i will do one back-related stretch exercise on my yoga mat.
  5. after i use the bathroom at work, i will walk once around the floor before going back to my desk.
  6. after i drop off my work bag near my stool, i will brush my teeth.
  7. after i brush my teeth at the end of the evening, i will pick up my yoga mat and unroll it near my bed. 
any other positive changes? ... when asked after the end of the week, in addition to sharing that i would totally do 3 tiny habits again, i responded to bj fogg's wrap-up question about any other positive changes. 3 came to mind -
  • self-awareness of choices
  • positive anticipation
  • seemed to unleash creative juices
image image: BJ Fogg's behavior grid
what's working with/without little hiccups ... i have thought about my behaviors. of the 7 habits - 1, 2, 3, and 5 are done deals. for my wanting to be more regularly stretchy with 4 and 7, well, hmmm ... the sequencing does note quite feel natural enough, however, i am better about getting my to stretches; oddly, it helped to have that hip/back problem earlier in the week. and with 6, i am realizing it's simply important that i'm better about brushing my teeth during the work day after lunch; will change up the anchor and make sure to have my toothbrush/toothpaste available (e.g., structure).

victory celebrations ... during the formal program, i was quite regular with my celebratory moments of "woo-hoo" at the end of each day, when i remembered and did the habit, and just because i was excited about my evolving tiny habits. i also celebrated with friends! (i was not a regular about celebrating during my rogue week.) as for the little tidbits to keep in mind while also celebrating ...
Simplicity changes behavior.

If you pick the right small behavior and sequence it right, then you won't have to motivate yourself to have it grow. It will just happen naturally, like a good seed planted in a good spot.

You can create many Tiny Habits at once. And, in fact, I believe you should work on multiple habits at once because that's how you learn what matters.

You need to match the new behavior you want with the best anchor to trigger your new behavior.
bringing the trigger, motivation, and ability
together all at the same time!
plant the seed ...
got anchors?
get habits!
JOIN HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...