Sunday, October 20, 2013

when #AARP meets #birthday #dating

do the math ... last year when my friend pho queen was giving me dating advice, i declared in august 2012 that I would be 49 years old. 

(SQUEE) 
yes, it's an 
appropriate response.

fifty ... yes, this year (and in fact, this month) i am turning 50 years old. 

  • i have been to my 30th high school reunion. 
  • i am at the AARP target market age. 
  • i am generally good-to-go with 80s trivia (and maybe even some 70s trivia given the 13" television set my brother and i adored and the teenage magazines i LOVED!).
  • i saw madonna's the virgin tour when i was in college, for which i also experienced the beastie boys for the first time.
    • and while i am at it, i stared up at andy bell's (of erasure) red-costumey-leather-jockstrap-thing from the floor of san francisco's I-Beam when concerts were under $15. (fun time during them I-Beam nights!)
  • my genes (and moisturizer) keep me looking youthful. 
  • i definitely have to stretch more than before, and whether it really helps, i take a multivitamin religiously.
  • i had to REALLY think about whether it was a good idea to hook-up for a two-night stand with a younger guy - because making bad dating decisions is a timeless, ageless thing - aka 1503 ...  remember this, piragua?
july 8, 2010
1503. 
  • i read (and have read) dr. christiane northup's women health writings since i was told my eggs would start "rotting" (aka being less viable).
  • i appreciate (for the most part) when other people SQUEE when they learn i'm turning 50.
  • i thank bouncers and age-checkers for not carding me.
  • and finally, i know how to spell perimenapaws perimenapause perimenopause. 

back to the dating thing ... last year pho queen (who is approaching mid-30s in a few years) had silver-lining advice for dating older and dating younger men. 

this year, pho queen and i still talk about dating, sex and the city episodes, old school ways of meeting guys, and scary-shitty on-line dating. (yes, this means she and i are single.) now piragua (a mutual friend, also single, also in her 30s) has posed the question - 

"have you signed up for our time?"
~ piragua

fuck. shit.
i'm turning 50.




7 comments:

  1. You're only as old as you feel! Or as old as what you feel....you decide!

    xoxo Soul Sistah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best to you on your milestone Shirley! Fill up your cup, Mazol Tov!
    .
    I turned 50 three years ago. I can relate to your list – here’s my own “silver lining” at turning 50.

    -Big daddy underpants are really comfy

    -downside-> gravity induced man-boobs; upside-> I can share my daughter’s training bra

    -with targeted mass marketing junk email I am now more educated on the wonders of term life insurance, hair restoration, and testosterone therapy

    -attending nostalgia rock concerts and reminiscing with strangers about music and bands we barely remember

    -when the topic of conversation turns to Bond girls, I honestly feel now that Judy Dench and Miss Moneypenny are not so bad looking.

    -never thought that being “being a pain in the ass” would someday turn literal with colonoscopy

    -glad I look much better now than Pete Burns, lead singer of “Dead or Alive” but still way behind Rob Lowe

    -the amusement of drawing a cringe and bewildered look on my daughter’s face when I explained the old high school ritual of making mixtapes for the girls we had a crush on. I skipped the part about sharing a bong seals the boyfriend-girlfriend deal (so I heard). Or was this just in my school?

    -I can kick your ass in late 70’s and 80’s trivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. M is famous--her picture is EVERYWHERE this month! She wishes you happy birthday and reminds you to clean between your toes and behind your ears. Watch out for the whiskers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...